To be in the front line in the implementation of laws, ordinances, rules and regulations with the end in view that justice will be served and social imbalances will be corrected.
- To promote fair and just trial
- To advocate the legitimate interests of the Province and all its 34 Municipalities and 2 Component Cities in their quest for providing effective and efficient legal services
- To represent pauper litigants in their arduous search for justice in courts and other quasi-judicial bodies.
- Formulate measures for the consideration of the sangguian and provide legal assistance and support to the governor in carrying out the delivery of basic services and provisions of adequate facilities as provided for under Section 17 of the Local Government Code;
- Develop plans and strategies and upon approval thereof by the governor, implement the same, particularly those which have to do with programs and projects related to legal services which the governor is empowered to implement and which the sanggunian is empowered to implement and which the sanggunian is empowered to provide for under the Local Government Code of 1991;
- Recommend measures to the sanggunian and advise the governor on all other matters related to upholding the rule of law;
- Be in the fronline of protecting human rights and prosecuting any violations thereof, particularly those which occur during and in the aftermath of man-made or natural disasters or calamities; and
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
- In addition to the fore going duties and functions, legal officer shall:
- Represent the province in all civil actions and special proceedings wherein the government unit or any official thereof, in his official capacity, is a party;
- When required by the governor or sanggunian, draft ordinances, contracts, bonds, leases and other instruments involving any interest of the local government unit and provide comments and recommendations on any instruments already drawn;
- Render his opinion in writing on any question of law when requested to do so by the governor or sanggunian, as the case may be;
- Investigate or cause to be investigated any person, firm or corporation holding any franchise or exercising any public privilege for failure to comply with any term or condition in the grant of such franchise or privilege and recommend appropriate action to the governor;
- When directed by the governor, or sanggunian, initiate and prosecute, in the interest of the local government unit concerned, any civil action on any bond, lease or other contract upon any breach or violation thereof;
- Review and submit recommendations on ordinances approved and execute orders issued by component units;
- Render legal advice on matters pertaining to the decision-making functions of the department heads of the provincial government.
- Conducts administrative investigation
- Provides free legal assistance/consultations
- Draft legal documents and other contracts
- Render legal opinion/comments on questions of law
- Seminars/Training Programs